xmms into universe?

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Mon May 28 02:29:02 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> The Gtk1 XMMS has been ported to Gtk2 under the name beep-media-player.
> Some time ago the beep-media-player people started a new project (BMPx),
> but the classic BMP was forked to become the Audacious project, which is
> essentially the latest version of XMMS now.  (XMMS en "classic" BMP
> aren't supported by their upstreams anymore, but Audacious is.)
>
> See: <http://audacious.nenolod.net/Main_Page>
> (Audacious is available in Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty".)

    I agree that audacious is a good replacement at an application
level, but I don't think it's a perfect replacement at a source level.
 Several packages build-depend on xmms-dev (1), which packages need to
either have reduced functionality or use whichever alternative is
selected.  My memory is that the API for beep-media-player didn't
match exactly, and that a number of these packages required porting to
work with beep-media-player-dev: I suspect the changes to be further
affected by the transition from beep-media-player to audacious.

    If it is appropriate to use audacious as the Ubuntu recommended
replacement for XMMS, perhaps a first step towards this would be to
attempt porting any relevant packages in universe from xmms-dev to
audacious-dev (or to use both, and provide separate binaries), and if
this appears to work smoothly, bring audacious into main, and port the
applications in main.

(1) cat /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Sources | grep-dctrl -F Build-Depends
xmms-dev -sPackage -n | sort | uniq

--
Emmet