I'd like to discuss how difficult it is to add a third party repository

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri May 25 22:03:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 14:41 -0400, Jean-François Gagnon Laporte wrote:
> On 5/25/07, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> ><Big snip>
> >
> > With the current cryptic instructions, though, even if we gave
> > absolutely no information about what this process does we'd be no worse
> > off than we are now - users are already blindly entering terminal
> > commands.  If we couple the file-based installation of a third party
> > repository with some sort of simple explanation and GUI prompt, things
> > should work much more smoothly for everyone.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Scott Ritchie
> >

> There was a blog post recently on the planet that explains exactly
> what you ask for :
>
> http://glatzor.de/node/25
>
> I didn't know that you could do that with software-properties(-gtk)
> until I read this. By the way, credit goes to Sebastian Heinlein for a
> well written article.

This looks promising, thank you.  I assume this is new in Feisty.

But what about the GPG key?  Do they still need to add that with a
terminal command?

Also, is there a way we could lock one apt key to a particular
repository (eg, my apt key is only used for checking the winehq
repository)?  Is there any benefit to doing this?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie