Webmin replacement

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Thu Mar 8 21:29:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-03 at 06:04 +0900, Arwyn Hainsworth wrote:
> On 08/03/07, Florian Hackenberger <f.hackenberger at chello.at> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 March 2007 15:24, Arwyn Hainsworth wrote:
> > > Python would probably be better suited to the task and it's better
> > > supported in Ubuntu anyway.
> > > While I'm not really familiar with rPath AppliancePlatform, from a bit
> > > of googling I gather it's just another web-based interface with
> > > plugins. My goal was to create something that was specifically UI
> > > independent.
> > You should really take a look at puppet, it seems to provide all the basics.
> >
> > The project website is here: https://reductivelabs.com/cgi-bin/puppet.cgi/wiki
> > And here is a howto for ubuntu:
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/installing_puppet_on_ubuntu
>
> I've looked at it and it is an interesting project. It is however
> designed for something slightly different from what I want. That is to
> say, while I could probably achieve what I want by using puppet,
> writing a framework from scratch would probably result in a cleaner
> and less hackish solution.

So can we break this down into pieces so people can look at starting on
this.

The most important modules for my use which I'd like to see worked on
are:

Samba
	Samba / Unix user and group management
	Share descriptions
	Configuration with LDAP and tdbsam (kerberos)??

Cups
	Creating and destroying printers
	Queue management, deleting jobs etc
DNS
	Easy DNS setup

Custom commands
	Interface like Webmin but better and more flexible

Services
	Enable / Disable
	Start / Stop services

Web or cross platform PyGTK interface, kind of lean towards the later.
Console interface, maybe just a set of commands or ncurses.

That's a start anyway.