Ubuntu Feisty and XORG: VNC via xorg available?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 23:01:25 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Johannes Kastl <ojkastl at gmx.de> wrote:
> > You can se a sample file in /usr/share/vnc4-common/examples/
>
> No. I have no directory named /usr/share/vnc4-common/. I only got
> /usr/share/doc/vnc4server and /usr/share/doc/vnc-common, but none of
> them contains a examples-directory.

You'll need to install vnc4-common, which you'll also need to use to
create the vnc passwd file.

Create the password file by becoming root (sudo -i, or sudo su -) and
then running vncpasswd and entering a password at the prompt.  This
should create /root/.vnc/passwd

Add this line to the "Modules" section of xorg.conf:
        Load   "vnc"

And this line to the "Screen" section of xorg.conf:
        Option         "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

Then restart X (ctrl-alt-backspace), or restart gdm (/etc/init.d/gdm
restart), or reboot.

The README is and excerpt of the README in the source code and is
entirely accurate, though admittedly not terribly helpful.

It should be noted that this will interfere with Vino (the Gnome
Remote Desktop Server) which actually may be what you really want to
use in the first place (see System > Preferences > Remote Desktop).
KDE has something similar.

- Andrew