Ubuntu Feisty and XORG: VNC via xorg available?

Johannes Kastl ojkastl at gmx.de
Thu Jun 7 20:07:00 UTC 2007

On 06/07/2007 05:32 PM Andrew Jorgensen wrote:

> In Ubuntu this is in the vnc4server (universe) package, the file is

What is the difference between vnc4server and vncserver? Maybe
renaming would clarify things there.

> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libvnc.so and there's no utility to
> enable it easily.

;-(

But maybe Im able to copy the parts of my suse-xorg to the ubuntu one.
Ill have a try.

>   There's a brief doc about the extension in

Very brief ;-)

> /usr/share/doc/vnc4server/README.Debian

OK, lets go:

> less /usr/share/doc/vnc4server/README.Debian
> Note about vnc module and XF86Config

Hm, its xorg now, maybe someone should update that readme.

> This package install the vnc.so XFree86 version 4 module to the
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions directory and can be enabled like any other
> module by adding a Load "vnc" line to the Module section of XF86Config.

OK, I got that. Suse xorg says:
Section "Module"
  Load         "vnc"

I also found
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver       "rfbkeyb"
>   Identifier   "Keyboard[2]"
>   Option       "InputFashion" "VNC"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver       "rfbmouse"
>   Identifier   "Mouse[3]"
>   Option       "InputFashion" "VNC"
> EndSection

which might also be needed, I do not know.

> The parameters listed in the Xvnc manual page can be set as options in
> XF86Config e.g. Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd".

Suse xorg says:
> Section "Device"
>   BoardName    "GeForce 6200 (0x0221)"
>   BusID        "1:0:0"
>   Driver       "nvidia"
>   Identifier   "Device[0]"
>   Option       "usevnc" "yes"
>   Option       "rfbauth" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
>   VendorName   "NVidia"
> EndSection

Ill guess I could copy that also.

> Note that for some reason options cannot be set in the Module section of
> XF86Config - try the Screen section.

I found nothing vnc-related in the screen section, only in device and
ServerLayout

> You can also configure the vncserver by adding a vnc.conf file to /etc.

That would be nice. But:

> You can se a sample file in /usr/share/vnc4-common/examples/

No. I have no directory named /usr/share/vnc4-common/. I only got
/usr/share/doc/vnc4server and /usr/share/doc/vnc-common, but none of
them contains a examples-directory.

>  -- Ola Lundqvist <opal at debian.org>, Sun Oct 24 21:47:14 2004

I would like to see a updated version of this readme. Annoying to have
such old unuseful documentation. Sorry to say that.

> Good luck!

Thanks,
OJ
- --
Obscene? Obscene is young men being trained to drop fire on people,
but their commanders not allowing them to write 'fuck' on their
airplanes because it's obscene.
(unknown)