installing sources to make binaries out of it.

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:45:17 UTC 2007

Hi all,
       I was reading one of the debian mailing lists & came across
this command :-

[quote]
I find it easy enough to do:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ apt-src -bi install $package

apt-src will then "install" the source of the package into the current
working directory, then "b"uild it, and then "i"nstall the resulting
binaries.

This works just fine for me with the deb-src mentors line.

-- Asheesh.
[/quote]

While obviously he was saying it in terms of something else I browsed
about for what apt-src is about?

shirish at Mugglewille:~$ aptitude show apt-src
Package: apt-src
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 0.25.1-0.1
 apt-src is a command line interface for downloading, installing,
upgrading, and tracking Debian source packages.
 It makes source package management feel a lot like using apt to
manage binary packages, and is being used as a
 testbed to work on adding source dependencies to Debian.

 It can be run as a normal user, or as root. If you want a convenient
way to track updates to packages while
 preserving your local modifications, this is a way to do that.

Now obviously this is for debian, do we have something like that for
ubuntu. There are packages which don't have binaries. For instance
these games :-

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/whichwayisup
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snowballz
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bouncy

All of them don't have binaries just sources. If there is an easy way
to install it or what?

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this question, if its
not, please lemme know where I should re-direct this question.

Cheers!

--
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17