Request to include in Main: splix

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:46:35 UTC 2007

Forest Bond wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 10:38:35AM +0000, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> SpliX provides reliable high-quality printing support for all recent
>> cheap Samsung laser printers, both bw and color models. Due to being
>> cheap and having fully integrated horizontal paper trays Samsung laser
>> printers are very common.
>
> I don't understand.  I have such a printer (a Samsung ML-1710) and it works just
> fine without this package.
>
> Does this package provide something that I'm missing?

Yes,

1. On the monochrome printers like yours, the "gdi" driver which is
built into GhostScript works fine with simple documents: text, some
graphics, ... On more complicated documents it can run into problems
easily. SpliX prints all types of documents correctly and also supports
more printer features.

2. There are also non-PostScript color printers from Samsung, they get
support by free software for the first time with the SpliX driver.

    Till