Feisty wireless issue noticed on a blog

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 24 00:59:17 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/02/wpa-wireless-just-works-in-ubuntu-704.html
>
> The review of wireless, especially WPA, in Herd 4 is glowing, but
> there is one issue he mentions (I don't have a wireless connection, so
> I'm just forwarding this along :)
>
> "The network manager software is smart enough to remember all of your
> network credentials, but it requires you to create a master password
> to secure these passwords. So every time you reboot or come back from
> hibernation, you have to log into Ubuntu AND log into the network
> keyring. In my opinion, this is redundant and the network keyring
> should see that you have already authenticated yourself."
>
> He mentions that there is a work-around here:
> http://johnny.chadda.se/2007/02/21/unlock-the-gnome-keyring-upon-login/
>
> CK

I think the bug report about this is, and it is an old one from
Dapper's time, is:
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/34898

At least I don't experience anymore on my laptop in Feisty the
multiple keyring password prompts where you are asked 2 or 3 times in
a row to unlock your keyring before network-manager can reconnect to a
protected network:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/31286

That workaround in that blog you found seems interesting.  I'll have
to give it a try.

--
Daniel Robitaille