Allowing passwordless login via GDM

(``-_-´´) -- Fernando Ubuntu at BUGabundo.net
Fri Feb 23 15:21:29 UTC 2007

I interely support Milan idea.
Please stop pulling the topic elsewhere.

On 2/23/07, Milan <nalimilan at club.fr> wrote:
> I'm not tying to make a troll in any way, and I'm sorry if this subject
> is fulling the list with useless arguments. And I don't think neither
> that we should compare Linux to Windows: what I propose is really far
> from ActiveX, and I will castigate anyone intending to create this for
> Linux.
>
> But you're mistaking on my proposal. I just ask to allow *GDM* to skip
> password check, just like it *currently does* with autologin.
>
> First, this is just an extension of autologin system, so if my idea is
> dangerous, we have to remove automated connexion feature from GDM
> immediately.
>
> Second, you can't connect to a passwordless account via ssh, vnc or
> others because it's disabled by default. As Jan Claeys said,
> PermitEmptyPasswords setting for sshd is "no" by default, and this is a
> good thing.
>
> Third, I don't ask to use passwordless accounts, which are currently to
> only way to connect without typing anything, and which are weak
> œconerning security. With my proposal, your argument is no valid at all,
> since the account is using a password, and more, a *good* password,
> since the user hasn't to type it every minute. Think that many users
> want to use a simple, short, and maybe easy to remember/find (firstname,
> account name...) because they have to type it often. And I don't speak
> of empty passwords you are encouraged to set manually.
>
> wattazoum, your criticism is really far from reality, because in
> addition of all this, openssh server is not installed be default,
> portmap doesn't allow WAN computers to connect to port 22, nor any other
> port. You currently have to hack the config files to enable it.
>
> I would like this topic to be constructive, not only a sterile argument.
> But it seems nobody is taking seriously the problem and its implications.
>
> Again, I'm sorry if this is taking space in the mailing list with no
> interest at all. But I'm surprised of the reaction.
>
> Milan

BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-´´)
http://BUGabundo.net
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net

http://host.BUGabundo.net  --  http://alojamento.BUGabundo.net
>From 1€ / month

Crazy Domain Insane (200GB disk, 2TB bw, 6.00€ ($7.95)/month)

at http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?249195/signup|BUG50

50$ discount with promo code "BUG50" on all plans