Transition to Ubuntu specific Maintainer: fields

Lut!n lut1n.tne at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 13:32:14 UTC 2007

2007/2/19, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>:

> Hello Ubuntu developers,
>
> a fair while ago, the Debian project collectively decided that Ubuntu
> source and binary packages should not carry Debian's maintainers in
> their Maintainer: field any more. Instead, we shall preserve them in
> the Original-Maintainer: field and put an Ubuntu specific contact into
> Maintainer:. Please see the specification [1] for details.
>
> With the recent dpkg upload [2], this now gets enforced. I. e.
> dpkg-source (called from dpkg-buildpackage and debuild) refuses to
> create a source package if the version number indicates Ubuntu
> modifications, but the Maintainer address is not Ubuntuish. The new
> default values for these fields are:
>
>   Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> for packages in main and restricted, and
>
>   Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> for packages in universe and multiverse.
>
> However, if a particular package deserves a more specific contact,
> then it is encouraged to use a personal or team mailing list contact
> (however, it must be an @ubuntu.com address).
>
> In source package's debian/control fields, the original maintainer
> must be preserved in the field
>
>   XSBC-Original-Maintainer:
>
> dpkg will then create an 'Original-Maintainer:' field in the .dsc
> (flag 'S'), .deb (flag 'B') and .changes (flag 'C') files. If you are
> interested in the details of this XSBC magic, please see [3].
>
> In the next four weeks (until Feisty's beta freeze) I will coordinate
> the necessary 129 source package rebuilds which are necessary for
> getting all binary packages in Ubuntu main fixed for the new
> maintainer fields. If you are maintaining a particular set of packages
> that matter size-wise, and you are sure that you want to upload a new
> version in the next month, please add them to [4].
>
> Thank you for your attention,
>
> Martin Pitt
> on behalf of the Ubuntu distro team
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianMaintainerField
> [2]
> http://librarian.launchpad.net/6442300/dpkg_1.13.24ubuntu4_source.changes
> [3] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s5.7
> [4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaintainerFieldRebuilds
>
> --
> Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de
> Ubuntu Developer   http://www.ubuntu.com
> Debian Developer   http://www.debian.org

> Hello,
Here's a small script that I wrote for my own use, but maybe some people
would find it useful.
It implements the spec and cares about setting the maintainer to the right
field. (exceptions are taken for the script that mangles the binary
packages)
You can find it at http://dunnewind.net/~lutin/code/update-maintainer

Any criticism / feedbacks are welcome
Regards