Handling crash reports

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 05:00:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 08:48 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Farning [2007-01-28  2:10 -0600]:
> > A few of the new crash reports are starting to roll through for firefox.
> > Very nice.
>
> \o/ :)
>
> > Since Feisty is currently a testing environment would it be feasible to
> > have the crash reporter automatically run retrace -d on crash reports
> > before uploading them until this service is implemented.
>
> This would impose a quite large burden to many developers without
> unlimited mega-bandwidth, and annoy many feisty users even more (I
> regularly get complaints about the current info collection process
> being way too slow).
>
> I totally agree that the current way to get a better stacktrace is a
> bottleneck, and currently apport-retrace does not even work at all on
> the 'new-style' bug reports with separate attachments (this will be
> fixed very soon, though).
>
> So I think right now we have to live with the current situation. Of
> course everyone can just install the -dbgsym packages on their system
> if they want to, so that you get good stack traces right away.
>
> Pitti

I agree that the best solution is to get a service in the data center to
symbolize the reports.

Any ideas on when that will occur?  I am not trying to pin you down.   I
would like to estimate who much effort we should put into dealing with
unsymbolized crash reports until the service is set up.

thanks
--
David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com>