New feature: easy codec installation, please test

Aurelien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:33:26 UTC 2007

On mar, 2007-01-30 at 12:32 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the distro sprint we did the remaining changes to get a working
> EasyCodecInstallation [1] on feisty, thank to Ian Jackson, Tim-Philipp
> Müller and Michael Vogt for their work on that specification.
>
> Using the current packages, if you try to open a file from
> totem-gstreamer without having the required codecs installed
> gnome-app-install will be started and make easy for you to install the
> corresponding packages.
>
> For example, trying to play a mp3 from the stock installation will
> suggest to install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. If you don't have
> universe activated, and want to use it, gnome-app-install will that easy
> for you as well. There is no need to restart the application after the
> plugin installation, the file should just start playing.
>
> Feedback on that new feature is welcome, feel free to open bugs with the
> "easy-codec-installation tag or to reply that mail
>
> Michael is going to do a gnome-app-install update today fixing some
> glitches we noticed, you might want to wait and try with the new version
> before opening a bug on it

Hi,

Great work, it is a huge improvment over the old unhelpful error
dialogs! Unfortunatly, I had already installed every gstreamer codec in
the repository, but I had some files encoded in realvideo4 inside that
is not supported (except for i386 using win32codecs and
gstreamer-pitfdll, but my two ubuntu install are on AMD64 and PPC
anyway...). When trying to play such a file, gnome-app-install is
launched and propose gstreamer-ffmpeg, which is already installed. After
leaving g-a-i, totem starts playing the audio part of the file.

Even with much more ressources, it will always be some files with
unsupported codecs, these ones should probably trigger a dialog with
some explanations and a link to a wiki page.

Regards

--
Aurelien Naldi <aurelien.naldi at gmail.com>