Ubuntu Studio packages good enough for Ubuntu?

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 12:12:41 UTC 2007

I was testing apps from the various ubuntustudio packages and I came
to the conclusion that even if Live CD space wasn't too big a problem
(I was excluding packages with a JACK requirement but including those
with just a libqt* dependency), most wouldn't be up to Ubuntu's
default install standards.  However some little ones that I had tried
before and liked:

agave
gtick
gnome-specimen

and some that have gotten positive mentions here before:

scribus
inkscape

Now, of the remainder, I was wondering if any of you would include
apps from the following nine; I get the feeling they each either fits
a niche that's too small to justify their general inclusion, or have a
GUI that's too different, or are generally too difficult to use, etc.:

kino
hugin
beast
blender
fontforge
stopmotion
hydrogen
denemo
pitivi

Though I thought hugin and stopmotion were probably the two closest to
meriting inclusion, though still perhaps overly specialty apps;
thoughts?

Also, of course, if you would include any from ubuntustudio* that I
didn't list? :)

Finally, a brief question about a package that isn't part of
ubuntustudio* but has the look of one that should be:

xaralx

Did they ever solve the GPL issue with cdraw?
http://www.linux.com/articles/59160

CK