Q: Reason for partitioning scheme?

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Thu Dec 13 22:04:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 15:58 -0500, Evan wrote:
> I definitely agree that the single / partition isn't the best way to
> go. My preference is
>
> swap
> /boot
> /home
> /
>
> While other partitions can be useful, this covers the most important
> areas (user data, settings, and the ability to continue to boot
> Windows/OSX regardless of what happens to Ubuntu).

In the desktop environment, I agree about /srv.  When I do this
manually, it is either /srv or /home that ends up in its own partition.
I was trying to address both server and desktop installations with one
rule.

As for the /var/log... I put that one in because I have had runaway
processes send info, warning, and error messages to the syslog.  That is
where they will end up.  If the logs fill a drive, I want a simple way
to recover.

As an advanced user, I would mount a live cd or simply boot to the boot
sector.  Manually mount that drive.  Then fix the problem.  reboot.  As
a end user, they will come to me, and I will do my best Nick Burn
Computer Guy... huuuh, move! ... lol

Now back to my original question... Is there a reason we don't use one
of these more stable layouts now?  And should we consider it for Hardy?

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer