Fwd: Mono (Re: New Programs for Hardy?)

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Thu Dec 13 15:53:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:51 -0600, Conrad Knauer wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 2:36 PM, Kevin Fries <kfries at cctus.com> wrote:
> So going the other way from removing Mono, are there any mono-based
> libre software apps in the repos you'd like to see moved onto the
> default desktop?

Not specifically.  What I was really referencing was more of a "lets
start building more apps with Mono that are Windows ports" type of
argument.  But as some have correctly pointed out, that may be a bit
tricky given that Linux has supposedly violated every patent that
Microsoft has ever owned, and several they have not even written yet,
lol.

I feel that Mono is that safe haven you give Windows developers.  That
carrot to encourage them to take that .NET app, and while not
breaking .NET capabilities, also allows them to expand their audience.

For that reason alone, I would like to see the Linux community put more
apps on Mono.  The more Windows apps that can easily convert to Linux
compatibility, the better for Linux users, the Linux community in
general and Ubuntu in specific.  Much better idea in the long run than
adding a bunch of geek apps like gParted and VIM.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer