Fwd: Mono (Re: New Programs for Hardy?)

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:21:38 UTC 2007

> Use the carrot and back off on the whip by showing that they can tweak existing programs to gain mono

But that doesn't require mono to be installed by default does it?
we're not trying to prove a point by including this software are we? I
hope not.

>  Its about making the transition easier for the new user.

Right, but the transition is made easier by increasing the default
support in a number of areas, not little accessories that take up 10%
of the CD. We could be doing so much more and yet instead of serving
our users we choose to prove points and try and bribe windows
developers with the promise of complete compatibility (fallacy imo)

> Your application suggestions falls on the category of specific people, we are not all IT's, Computer Scientists.

Ah right yes, copy and paste is something only scientists use.
firefox-adblock? why I only ever see that on geeky machines, I believe
it comes with a heroes wallpaper even. burning cd's is a little more
geeky but pgp? shouldn't we include the management of security
features so we can build upon them later? hardware support is key and
shouldn't be secondary, nor should the ability to open common files.

I fail to see your Computer Scientists argument, I run a LoCo on the
front lines and I see plenty of teachers, social workers and lawyers
who want the kind of functionality I've mentioned.

I'd also be damn cautious about the f-spot internet integration, not
only is it being removed in future versions; but having support for
speific websites without a standardised communication protocol is a
lock-in creating bias and we shouldn't stand for that sort of thing.

Regards, Martin Owens