Ubuntu development...

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 05:06:08 UTC 2007

On 8/26/07, Chris Warburton <chriswarbo at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 00:26 -0400, Tim Hull wrote:
>
> > 2. The current default fonts look dreadfully ugly. For one thing, they
> > are MASSIVE (on Gutsy at least), and they use a type of hinting which
> > makes them look quite ugly when compared to OS X. What I suggest here
> > is to 1) revert the auto-DPI-detect/change to 11-pt font in Gutsy -
> > things look much better in Feisty with the settngs where they were 2)
> > investigate changing the default hinting to either autohinter or no
> > hinting - this, while a little blurry, seems to look eons better than
> > the "native" hinter.
> >
> On this point I'm wondering if this may be caused by CompositeByDefault,
> since running XGL on my laptop (non-free ATI drivers, no aiglx for
> me :( ) causes the font rendering to change and ends up with much larger
> fonts than regular Xorg. This happens regardless of whether a
> compositing window manager is being run or not. Perhaps an accelerated X
> server is the reason Gutsy fonts look bigger and uglier for you than
> Feisty? (I haven't changed the font preferences from the Ubuntu
> defaults)

That is because Ubuntu still doesn't make any radical changes into their
choice of font rendering.
It's still using "Native" hinting, versus "Autohinter" rendering (which is
default in Fedora).

I think here's what we need to do, we need to have "*orders signed in
triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public
enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and
recycled as firelighters." *for the Ubuntu guys to change it.