Ubuntu development...

Chris Warburton chriswarbo at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 26 04:41:41 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 00:26 -0400, Tim Hull wrote:

> 2. The current default fonts look dreadfully ugly. For one thing, they
> are MASSIVE (on Gutsy at least), and they use a type of hinting which
> makes them look quite ugly when compared to OS X. What I suggest here
> is to 1) revert the auto-DPI-detect/change to 11-pt font in Gutsy -
> things look much better in Feisty with the settngs where they were 2)
> investigate changing the default hinting to either autohinter or no
> hinting - this, while a little blurry, seems to look eons better than
> the "native" hinter.

On this point I'm wondering if this may be caused by CompositeByDefault,
since running XGL on my laptop (non-free ATI drivers, no aiglx for
me :( ) causes the font rendering to change and ends up with much larger
fonts than regular Xorg. This happens regardless of whether a
compositing window manager is being run or not. Perhaps an accelerated X
server is the reason Gutsy fonts look bigger and uglier for you than
Feisty? (I haven't changed the font preferences from the Ubuntu
defaults)