[Pkg-fonts-devel] [Fwd: Re: [i18n] Input Method and Fonts improvements for Gutsy]

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas at spalinger.org
Sun Aug 12 18:49:04 UTC 2007

>>> I suppose this is a Ubuntu-only goal but I'm not sure how they will
>>> handle the various licenses/copyrights/etc....
>> Ideally this core open fonts set will be the same across as many
>> environments as possible. The goal is that the freedesktop common set
>> will get build with feedback from the Debian and Ubuntu communities.
>
> Actually, I have taken some advice already from the freedesktop fonts
> list. :)

Excellent :-)

Btw, I remembered that the LSB roadmap had a blurb on a common font set
as well: http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap

>> I think we can work together with the Ubuntu folks on this one too: IIRC
>> Arne is active on both sides too.
>
> yes, I am.

:-)

>> As for licensing around fonts, Debian and Ubuntu are in agreement and I
>> don't think there will be need for license changes. OTOH, license
>> unification for such a package would make a lot of sense...
>
> Not unification, that would not be possible, because that would mean
> upstream font authors would have to relicense their work.
> And I'm sure of at least one case where this is impossible.

Yes, you're right, my comment was more about long-term things...

> No, the individual fonts keep their licenses. All fonts I mentioned are
> DFSG free, AFAIK. So, it should be a problem to get them into one
> package and attach a license file to each font stating it's copyright
> and license terms.

(I take it you meant "should not be")

I agree and I've started a little package skeleton in the team svn:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-fonts/packages/fdo-core-openfonts/?rev=0&sc=0

> OTOH, if that should really pose a problem:
> The second idea I proposed, was to split the current font packages into
> 2: one -core package with the fonts needed for the Desktop core fonts,
> and one -extra package with the additional fonts. License and copyrights
> would not be touched, just the package rebuilt and split into two.

IMHO the first idea sounds easier to implement now.

> Cheers
> Arne

Cheers,

--