Announcement: One Click Installer

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Aug 6 23:28:14 UTC 2007

On Monday 06 August 2007 17:09, Chris Wagner wrote:
> Every time someone comes up with a new, more-intuitive way to install
> software on Linux, there seems to be more negative comments about it
> than positive.  I recall similar comments when Gdebi was proposed, but
> it seems to have gone over okay.

Gdebi at least uses packages intended for use in the Debian package management
system (personally, I think it's a mistake for it to be installed by default,
but that's another arguement).

What I have yet to see is an automated way to make packages that consistently
and reliably work across multiple architectures on diverse hardware.

The issue isn't making installation easy, the issue is the reliability and
usability of the underlying packages that have not been designed for our
packaging system.  I could see extending the gdebi UI to support multiple
package installation, but before we get into making foreign packages easy to
install, I think we should figure out if they are actually going to work
reliably enough.

Scott K