Newest Testing Report of Ubuntu 6.10 from BSTQC China (Jianggw)

shirish agarwal shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 15:53:21 UTC 2007

Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:33:28 +0800
> From: "Jianggw" <jianggw at bsw.net.cn>
> Subject: Newest Testing Report of Ubuntu 6.10 from BSTQC China
> To: <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hi, there
>
>     Thanks for reading this email.
>
>     April 29th, 2007. After the hard work of guys in our company
> BSTQC(Beijing Software Testing & QA Center), we release our new all-sided
> testing report for Ubuntu-6.10 which we finished several days before. In
> our testing report, we've listed:
>
>      19    S2-bug(very serious),
>      108  S3-bug(middle serious),
>      106  S4-bug(normal),
>      33    S5-bug-for-suggestions(suggestions).
>
>      Totally  266  bugs.
>
>     Even the new Ubuntu 7.04 has been released, this report would be very
> valuable for all developers and users.
>
>     You can download it from BSTQC ftp server. If anyone has problems with
> downloading the testing report, please contact me by sending email to
> konghao at bsw.net.cn.
>
>     If some one could provide downloading server outside of China and put
> this testing report on your server, it would be great appreciated!
>
>     FTP address: 210.76.123.18
>
>     username: ostl
>
>     password: ostl_ubuntu
>
>     The subdirectory of newest testing report is "ubuntu 6.10", please
> check them.
>
>     The all-side testing of newest Ubuntu 7.04 are ongoing, we will
> release the testing report as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks! & Best regards!
>
> Hao Kong - BSTQC
> National Application Software Testing Labs
> Beijing Software Testing & QA Center
> Add:Building 3A,Zhongguancun Software Park,
> Shangdi,Haidian District,Beijing,China 100094
> TEL:(+86)-010-82825511-726
> Fax:(+86)-010-82826408
> Email:konghao at bsw.net.cn
specifically join the bug-squad team.

2.The format is a .doc format which makes things pretty bulky and
inconsistent. I just cleaned up your 3 MB .doc file & saved it & got the
same file in .odt format for 142 KB. Although it took me atleast 4 hrs. to
do the cleaning up but one good action deserves another. I have put up the
cleaned up file at
http://rapidshare.com/files/28563156/Ubuntu_6.10_defect_report.odt.html.

3. One of the other things was that most of the bugs seem pertinent to
Applications per-se which begs the question are these bugs in Ubuntu or the
parent/upstream applications per se. For e.g. any of the bugs which are
openoffice.org related, did you check them with let's say the same version
in some other linux distro. or it could be a short-coming in the parent
application per se. Also while you have put up the name of the OS there is
no mention of the version of the application which is also very much needed.
For e.g. openoffice has an excellent qa team which looks at all the bugs
very seriously. http://qa.openoffice.org/ . There are even test-scripts
there which would make your job whole lot easier if you had not been using
them.  I say this because quite a few of these seem to be translation issues
which should be handled by the applications themselves.

4. Ubuntu itself has a dedicated bug-reporting site at
http://bugs.launchpad.net . The only thing is one has to register & keep
track when the developers say something. You could also simultaneously file
the bug upstream & give a link there which would make things easier for
everybody.

  In the present format & way its unusable for anybody. In case if you have
any more doubts, issues feel free to connect with me off-line or bug me
either on jabber or freenode where I'm known as shirish. Take care, keep up
the good work.
--
          Shirish Agarwal
  This work is licensed under the Creative Commons NonCommercial Sampling