User Reviews In Synaptic?

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 27 08:39:17 UTC 2006

On Di, 2006-12-26 at 20:33 +0100, Francesco Fumanti wrote:
> >The popularity system is really broken. :-)
> >Perhaps it could be fixed but I really don't know how...
> >Right now, all Ubuntu default apps have 4, some apps have 3, most
> >Kubuntu apps have 2, and then the rest have 1.
> >
> >Take Inkscape for example, 17:th best rated on GnomeFiles with a
> >score of 9.05, has popularity 1 in Ubuntu.
> >Not everyone needs a vector graphics tool, but people who does think
> >it's great.
> >
> >So the problem is that everyone rates all programs by either having
> >them installed or not.
> >Voting would instead let people who have tried something give a
> >vote, and that would be meaningful!
>
> I am using linux (more specifialy Ubuntu) for several months and I
> did not know that there is already a rating system until I read this
> thread. I suppose it is gnomfiles.org . So probably it should be more
> publicised.
>
> However, I wonder how it can have data about whether a determined
> application used or not.
>
> Francesco

These are two different things: A voting system and a statistical tool
that records the used and installed application.

There is no Ubuntu specific voting system. But we use Debian's
popularity contest to record which applications have been installed and
how often are they used (introduced in Ubuntu 6.10). To enable it choose
System > Administration > Software Sources > Statistics

Cheers,

Sebastian