Strategy for fixing Bug #1

mikecorn mikecorn at t-online.de
Wed Dec 27 06:14:46 UTC 2006

The 5 points are OK but there are deeper problems with Linux that need
to be solved first. Ubuntu is the best Linux, but is not doing anything
to fix the real issues, IMO.

This is a (short) rant about what is wrong with Linux, so if you are
sick of reading about this you can just delete it now. I write because
most such rants miss the point (for example ESR's essay).

Linux Problems
- too many bugs and rough edges in applications
- error messages are hidden in log files, incomprehensible, or do not exist
- technical and user docs are often missing, erroneous, or outdated
- docs are in chaos: man, info, http, text, websites, tar
(or sometimes findable only with Google)
- developer goals are not aligned with common user needs
(FOSS is not customer or market-driven)
- development is not managed (1000s of independent projects)
- developers care about creative freedom, not about utility, standards,
compatibility, fit and polish, quality documentation, etc.
- app development is 90% overlapping, a huge waste
- Linux distros are diverging, making app portability and support too
difficult for software providers. (Software I developed using Ubuntu
runs unmodified on about half the other Gnome distros I have tried.
Problems: package naming, file names and locations. KDE distros often
fail for lack of Gnome libraries - a hurdle most users are not
willing/able to overcome.)
- the LSD project is an attempt to create some useful standards and
cross-platform tools, but Mark Shuttleworth has stated he does not
believe in this.
- software providers want standards, so that installation and support
does not have a different "gotcha" with each distro. MS Windows provides
a single standard, which is more important than its weaknesses (viruses,
etc.).

When Michael Dell was asked about providing Linux pre-installed, his
response was "which one?". From his viewpoint, he has to either pick one
distro or try to support many distros. He believes neither option is
viable for his business, and I think he is right.

If you think I am wrong about this, please explain. I will listen.