Xenial Xerus Beta 1

flocculant at gmx.co.uk flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 21:24:01 UTC 2016

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad.
You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

  ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

This Beta features images for Lubuntu, Ubuntu Cloud, Ubuntu GNOME,
Ubuntu MATE, UbuntuKylin, Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu.

Pre-releases of Xenial Xerus are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional,
even frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu
flavour developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting and
fixing bugs as we work towards getting this release ready.

Beta 1 includes a number of software updates that are ready for wider
testing. This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect some
bugs.

While these Beta 1 images have been tested and work, except as noted in
the release notes, Ubuntu developers are continuing to improve Xenial
Xerus. In particular, once newer daily images are available, system
installation bugs identified in the Beta 1 installer should be verified
against the current daily image before being reported in Launchpad.
Using an obsolete image to re-report bugs that have already been fixed
wastes your time and the time of developers who are busy trying to make
16.04 the best Ubuntu release yet. Always ensure your system is up to
date before reporting bugs.

Lubuntu:

Lubuntu is a flavour of Ubuntu based on LXDE and focused on providing a
very lightweight distribution.

The Beta 1 images can be downloaded at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/xenial/beta-1/

More information on Lubuntu Beta-1 can be found at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Beta1/Lubuntu

http://lubuntu.me/xenialb1

Ubuntu Cloud:

Ubuntu Cloud images can be run on Amazon EC2, Openstack, SmartOS and
many other clouds.

The Alpha-2 images can be downloaded from:

http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/releases/xenial/alpha-2/

Ubuntu GNOME:

Ubuntu GNOME is a flavor of Ubuntu featuring the GNOME desktop environment.

The Beta 1 images can be downloaded at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/xenial/beta-1/

More information on Ubuntu GNOME Beta 1 can be found here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Beta1/UbuntuGNOME

Ubuntu MATE:

Ubuntu MATE is a flavour of Ubuntu featuring the MATE desktop environment.

The Beta 1 images can be downloaded at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/xenial/beta-1/

More information on Ubuntu MATE Beta 1 can be found at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Beta1/UbuntuMATE

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-xenial-beta1/

UbuntuKylin:

UbuntuKylin is a flavour of Ubuntu that is more suitable for Chinese users.

The Beta 1 images can be downloaded at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntukylin/releases/xenial/beta-1/

More information on UbuntuKylin Beta 1 can be found here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Beta1/UbuntuKylin

Ubuntu Studio: Ubuntu Studio is a flavour of Ubuntu configured for
working on multimedia projects.

The Beta 1 images can be downloaded at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/xenial/beta-1/

More information on Ubuntu Studio Beta 1 can be found here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Beta1/UbuntuStudio

Xubuntu:

Xubuntu is a flavour of Ubuntu based on the Xfce desktop environment.

The Beta 1 images can be downloaded at:

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/xenial/beta-1/

More information on Xubuntu Beta 1 can be found at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/Beta1/Xubuntu

https://xubuntu.org/news/xubuntu-16-04-lts-beta-1/

Regular daily images for Ubuntu can be found at:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com

If you're interested in following the changes as we further develop
Xenial, we suggest that you subscribe to the ubuntu-devel-announce list.
This is a low-traffic list (a few posts a week) carrying announcements
of approved specifications, policy changes, alpha releases and other
interesting events.