Precise Pangolin Alpha 1 Released!

Kate Stewart kate.stewart at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 1 16:48:59 UTC 2011

"To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to
capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an
image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy."
- Henri Cartier-Bresson

We are pleased to bring you the first set of developer images that
capture the current fleeting reality of our Precise Pangolin
(Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1) as it starts to emerge.

Pre-releases of Precise Pangolin are *not* encouraged for anyone
needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running
into occasional, even frequent breakage.  They are, however,
recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who want to help in
testing, reporting, and fixing bugs as we work towards getting
this LTS release ready.

Alpha 1 is the first in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Precise development cycle.  The Alpha images
are known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer
bugs, while representing a very recent snapshot of Precise.  You can
download them here:

   http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/precise/alpha-1/
   (Ubuntu Desktop, Server, ARM)

Additional images are also available at:

   http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/precise/alpha-1/
   (Ubuntu Server Cloud and EC2)
   http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/precise/alpha-1/
   (Xubuntu)
   http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/releases/precise/alpha-1/
   (Edubuntu)
   http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/precise/alpha-1/
   (Lubuntu)

Alpha 1 includes a number of software updates that are ready for wider
testing.  This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect
some bugs.  For a more detailed description of the changes in the Alpha
1 release and the known bugs (which can save you the effort of reporting
a duplicate bug, or help you find proven workarounds), please see:

  http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/

If you're interested in following the changes as we further develop
Precise, we suggest that you subscribe initially to the
ubuntu-devel-announce list. This is a low-traffic list (a few posts a
week) carrying announcements of approved specifications, policy changes,
alpha releases, and other interesting events.

Enjoy,

--
Kate Stewart, on behalf of the Ubuntu release team