PS3 CD builds stopped for Natty

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 14 13:33:31 GMT 2010

I've stopped daily PlayStation 3 CD builds on cdimage.ubuntu.com.

Changes made by Sony to the "Other OS" facilities of the PS3 have made
it increasingly difficult for people with new systems to run Ubuntu on
them, and there seem to be hardly any developers with the interest and
ability to keep the CD images working.  Building separate CD images for
PS3 takes a substantial amount of resources (disk space, time required
to run the powerpc and powerpc+ps3 live filesystem builds sequentially,
developer time to fix problems, and so on), and right now it doesn't
seem to be worth it.

Since the PS3 uses powerpc binaries, it should still be possible to
upgrade PS3 systems to newer versions of Ubuntu for the foreseeable
future, provided that they were initially installed with a version
earlier than Natty.

If you have a good reason why we should keep building PS3 CD images for
Natty, and are willing to step up as a developer to help support them,
then please reply to ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com.

Regards,