update-rc.d "multiuser" is deprecated

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 5 08:49:26 BST 2008

Hello fellow Ubuntu developers,

a while ago we introduced a new mode "multiuser" to update-rc.d, which
would behave like "defaults" except for not creating rc.d stop
symlinks for runlevels 0 (halt) and 6 (shutdown). This avoids
needlessly running a lot of shell code in init scripts only to kill a
daemon (which happens as last step of the shutdown process anyway).

The idea hasn't changed, of course, but the implementation with
"multiuser" has been deprecated in Ubuntu now. It was never accepted
in Debian, instead they aim for using the LSB init script headers.

We do not want to carry this delta forever, so I would like to ask all
of you to drop the usage of "multiuser" and call update-rc.d with
manual arguments from now on. Some examples:

  Old: multiuser
  New: start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 1 .

  Old: multiuser 10
  New: start 10 2 3 4 5 . stop 10 1 .  # [2]

  Old: multiuser 20 80
  New: start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 80 1 .

While you are at it, please do the corresponding change in the LSB
init script header as well: "Default-Stop: 0 1 6" -> "Default-Stop: 1".

The advantage of this is that these changes can be sent to Debian for
adoption. I already did it for a number of packages (cron, cupsys,
some others), which allowed us to get back in sync with Debian, since
in many cases this is our only delta to them at the moment (examples:
rsync, dnsmasq). See [3] for a list of packages which still use
multiuser.

The current sysvinit in Intrepid still works with "multiuser", but it
is not documented any more. I'd like to get rid of it at some point,
when all packages stopped using 'multiuser'. It isn't terribly urgent,
and it is not required to get it done within Intrepid, but I'd like
you to keep this in mind when you do your next merge.

Thank you!

Martin

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Teardown
[2] Please note that in this case you should actually use "stop 90 1",
    which is much more correct (100 minus start priority); see man
    update-rc.d for details.
[3] acct
    acpid
    apmd