Join the Google Summer of Code with Ubuntu

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 9 18:32:08 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Ubuntu is once again participating in the Google Summer of Code [1].
We would like to make as many projects as possible, available for
students to work on.

It is a great opportunity to expose new students to the wonderful world
of Ubuntu, get some exciting projects off the ground and get good
exposure for the projects, students and organisations alike.

SoC 2007 starts early this year, so there are even better chances to
get projects for the second Ubuntu release this year (around October
2007).

What can you do to help?

We need

  - Exciting project ideas - preferably with detailed specs.  Ideas can
    be related to the following broad topics:

    * Ubuntu [2]
    * Edubuntu [3]
    * Kubuntu [4]
    * Accessability [5]

  - If you have a project idea, and would like it to be considered,
    please add a project headings with a brief description to our Ideas
    Page [6].  Selected projects will be tracked on Blueprint.  If you
    are ready to create a detailed spec please add it to Blueprint [7].
    We would encourage members of the community who have been thinking
    of a cool new feature or plan to seize the opportunity to get it
    into the idea pool, as it might just get selected and implemented.

    You can see a list of proposed projects at [8].

  - Mentors - volunteers in the know who will answer any questions the
    selected students have, and help them to settle into the community
    for the duration of the SoC.  You will also be responsible for
    providing feedback to Google, the Student and Canonical on the
    project progress, as well as evaluating the project at the end of
    the programme.  For your time and trouble you will receive a cool
    limited edition t-shirt!  If you would like to volunteer to be a
    mentor, please contact [9].

  - Good capable eligible Students, to apply for the projects. If you
    are a registered student and are over 18 years of age, you can
    apply for one of the projects (applications open on the Summer of
    Code page starting March 14 2007).  We would like to select
    students who are enthusiastic about our projects and are able to
    commit the time and energy required to make them successful.
    Please make your applications detailed and give us enough
    information to be able to make an intelligent selection.  Please
    remember that being selected is a privilege and a great
    opportunity.  The more you commit, the greater your chance of a
    fantastic reward at the end Additionally if it is really good your
    code might be included in Ubuntu!  See [10] for the SoC FAQ.

    Additional informations about your project should be provided in
    the Ubuntu/Kubuntu wikis in the form of a specification.

The full Summer of Code rules can be found in the student FAQ [11]

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/
[2] http://ubuntu.com/
[3] http://edubuntu.com/
[4] http://kubuntu.com/
[5] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility
[6] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2007
[7] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+specs
[8] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+specs?searchtext=SoC2007
[9] mailto:ubuntu-soc-owner at lists.ubuntu.com
[10] http://code.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=10442

Feel free to contact Scott James Remnant or Matthias Klose, if you
require any further information. Please email ubuntu-soc-owner at lists.ubuntu.com