Gobuntu-devel mailing list created

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 13 15:45:24 BST 2007

Hi folks

Colin Watson and Evan Dandrea have been working to get Gobuntu off the
ground. We now have daily CD image builds available for Gobuntu, and
have started a new mailing list for discussions specific to Gobuntu
development:

Here are some Gobuntu FAQ's:

What is Gobuntu?
Gobuntu is a new flavour of Ubuntu that is aiming to apply the strictest
possible interpretation of the Free Software Foundation's "Four
Freedoms" [1] to all content, both code and media, on the disk. The
Gobuntu install disk should include nothing that is not modifiable and
redistributable, and for which source elements are not completely
available. For example, if a PDF is on the disk, then the original
document should also be available with modification rights.

How does Gobuntu relate to Ubuntu?
Gobuntu is a flavour of Ubuntu, just as Kubuntu and Xubuntu are flavours
of Ubuntu. Gobuntu development happens as part of the broader Ubuntu
project and shares the same archive, so work done to identify
problematic content in the archive and split that up benefits users of
Ubuntu and Kubuntu as well.

What hardware will Gobuntu support?
At this stage, we recognise that Gobuntu will work with relatively few
laptops and desktops, because of the widespread use of  binary-only
firmware. Running Gobuntu on your laptop will be quite an achievement!
But we are working with hardware manufacturers to encourage them to make
it possible to use their hardware with an entirely free platform.

Where is the wiki and the website?
Coming soon! For the moment, the community will meet on the
gobuntu-devel mailing list.

Thanks very much to Colin and Evan, and we welcome participation from
other folks interested in building a purely-free reference platform for
other projects like gNewSense!

 [1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html