GNOME Printer setup tool

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 20:14:10 UTC 2017

On 09/15/2017 04:45 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you could fix these issues we can switch over, but with these issues
>> present I would stay with system-config-printer.
>
> I don't have a printer so I can't personally fix those issues.
>
> What do you mean "stay with"? system-config-printer has had
> NotShowIn=GNOME; set for the entire artful cycle.
>
> Do you really think those 2 issues are serious enough to break the
> integrated Printers panel in the GNOME Settings app? (By "break", I
> mean not making the integrated Printers panel available and requiring
> users to use a separate app.)

No problem, we can leave the GNOME Settings app as it is. The issues are
not that important.

The local printers as SMB printers appeared only for me as I had smbd
running, which most users do not have running on a desktop machine.
After stopping smbd they disappeared and only the actually interesting
printers (local USB printers, network printers, shared printers on
remote computers) get listed, as expected.

So leave everything as it is now. The two issues have time for 18.04 LTS.

    Till