Firefox ESR package is really needed

Nrbrtx nrbrtx at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 21:03:43 UTC 2017

Dear Ubuntu developers!

For enterprise Ubuntu users Firefox ESR
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/> is needed.
It does not change too fast and support old "LEGACY" extensions
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-add-technology-modernizing>.

This problem was discussed at least twice on AskUbuntu (see
https://askubuntu.com/questions/305199/is-there-a-deb-package-to-install-
firefox-esr and https://askubuntu.com/questions/505895/how-can-i-
install-an-older-version-of-firefox-in-ubuntu-14-04 ).
There is a bug about this problem on Launchpad (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1676164).

For example in Windows my organization uses Firefox ESR.
We do not need bells and whistles, we need to do our work with stable user
experience and without security vulnerabilities.

Debian already has Firefox ESR (see
https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&exact=1&searchon=names&keywords=firefox-esr)
for all supported versions.

Please add these packages to all supported Ubuntu versions.
You may want to use bleeding edge version as default, but please add
firefox-esr package too.

With best regards,
Norbert.