Extended Application Menu

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 9 18:46:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 6:49 AM, info
info at opensourcesoftwaredirectory.com
<info at opensourcesoftwaredirectory.com> wrote:
> I’m really curious about your thoughts and I’m really looking forward to
> your feedback. Hopefully this idea could be of value to the Ubuntu Desktop.

Thank you for taking the time to work on this proposal and help to
make Ubuntu and GNOME better.

I don't believe the Ubuntu Desktop Team is interested at this time in
making significant changes from GNOME. So if you want this change in
Ubuntu, you should talk to the GNOME Design team.

Contributing to Design is a bit like contributing elsewhere in open
source development. Smaller changes are easier to get accepted at
first. And after all the criticism GNOME 3 received, the GNOME
Developers and Designers are much more cautious about making big
changes these days.

> Besides this proposal I also have a question: does anybody know a developer
> who could and would be willing to make an extension such as this one? Could
> someone put me into contact with him or her? If the extension is made, the
> design could be tested with users.

Having a working prototype is a nice idea but it's not necessarily
required. I don't know of anyone here that is really working on
developing GNOME Shell extensions though.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha