Default App: GNOME Maps

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu Jun 8 21:52:13 UTC 2017

I'm going to copy Jeremy [1] and propose a new default app for 17.10...

I'd like to propose GNOME Maps. This uses gjs so it is include-able now
gnome-shell is in main. Maps is a core GNOME app.

Mapping is a standard feature of modern operating systems. By including
maps we also encourage Ubuntu users to improve OpenStreetMap and that
aligns with our open-source culture.

There are two Universe dependencies:
- gfbgraph - A fairly simple wrapper library to access some Facebook
services
- libchamplain - Map rendering library, Reasonably complex but doesn't have
any complex dependencies. Probably useful for other apps.

--Robert

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2017-June/004970.html