Nautilus 3.24 and dropping type-ahead search, adding tracker

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 20 11:24:33 UTC 2017

Hey there,

Le 28/02/2017 à 18:37, Sebastien Bacher a écrit :
> Enabling tracker is going to be a bigger discussion (which is started
> in bug #1666676 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1666676>), before
> deciding we should at least do disk/battery usage testing on a slow
> config with rotational disk and see what the user experience is like
> (pitti has some good points in his comment on the launchpad bug,
> indexing is either going to use battery when not on a/c or be
> incomplete for example)

That's probably one of the discussions we should have this cycle now
that we rebase on GNOME.

I'm still in favor of not using it at the moment but people who push for
it might take the opportunity to convince the list it's needed and we
should discuss it in one of the coming meetings.

Questions we might need an answer to

- what's the difference in user experience with/without it
- what's the work needed to land/test/maintain it and do we have the
resources to take on that this cycle (it's not something we can drop
over our users and ignore, we need somebody who commits to deal with
feedback&issues)
- what's the impact on disk/power usage (need somebody to do proper
investigation)

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher