Recovering bogofilter in Evo... how can we do it?

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Wed Jan 14 14:48:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-01-14 at 09:27 +0000, Iain Lane wrote:
> Hey Paul (not *the* Paul Smith?),

Well, from my point of view I'm *the* Paul Smith, but there're a few of
us out there so I might not be the one you're thinking of :)

> bogofilter support in Evolution has to be enabled or disabled at
> compile time (testing for the presence of the executable), but as far
> as I can see the plugin only calls the executable and doesn't use any
> library so it is only actually required at *runtime*.

If that's true, it seems to me it would be equally straightforward to
include some kind of script wrapper or shim in the Ubuntu Evolution
package that allowed bogofilter to be optional: if it were installed it
would be invoked, if not it would not be invoked.  This would just be a
packaging change and not require any code changes upstream.

But I'll discuss with those folks how this might work in Evo itself.