Recovering bogofilter in Evo... how can we do it?

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 14 09:27:10 UTC 2015

Hey Paul (not *the* Paul Smith?),

Thanks for your mail.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 05:03:47PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> […]
> How can we solve this problem for Vivid?

I wasn't involved in the original decision, but I would bet that it's
because Canonical does not want to support two spam classifiers in the
main section of the archive.

bogofilter support in Evolution has to be enabled or disabled at compile
time (testing for the presence of the executable), but as far as I can
see the plugin only calls the executable and doesn't use any library so
it is only actually required at *runtime*.

Which means, unless I'm mistaken (I only looked briefly), that someone
so interested could submit a patch to Evolution, preferably upstream, to
move the check from build to runtime.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]