Drop Ubuntu Software Centre and Adopt GNOME Software

S. sb56637 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 18:41:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 08:13:39PM +0300, Amr Ibrahim wrote:
> I suggest dropping USC in future Ubuntu releases and adopt GNOME Software.

I personally think this is a bad idea. I have extensively tested and
tried to like Gnome Software on Fedora and openSUSE, but it was pretty
awful in my opinion. You can't browse apps while another app is
installing. And some apps just simply don't appear in search results,
even if they are available in category listings. Search results in
general are really bad. And I don't like how it refuses to show apps
that don't have AppStream data. At the very least it could fallback to
the package name and short description like what Synaptic shows if
AppStream data isn't available, instead of just ignoring the software
altogether.

The Ubuntu Software Center is fundamentally a great idea. It just needs
some bug fixes (for Pete's sake somebody please do something about
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/msttcorefonts/+bug/1437764
!!!!) and a little bit of TLC. All of the core functionality is there,
and it is probably the #1 contributing factor to making Ubuntu so
popular thus far.