Default File Manager with Unity8 in future desktops
J Phani Mahesh
phanimahesh.ee510 at ee.iitd.ac.in
Fri Jan 31 19:16:27 UTC 2014
>> a) collect requirements
>> b) file whishlist bugs
>> c) if *you* want to contribute, get in contact with the developers
Let me add my share of requirements.
- Uncluttered, minimalistic interface
- Dual(Multi?) panes, Multi tabs. (Look at Gedit and play with Ctrl+N
and Ctrl+Alt+N to get an idea of what this would be like.)
- Multi select like Nautilus has. ( Ctrl+S and *.png selects all png files)
- Sensible default key bindings that users expect. (Eg: backspace to go
back in nav. )
- Customizable key bindings.
- Sensible search. Search by default in the same directory,
checkbox/some other mechanism that toggles recursive searching. Allow
changing default. Leverage mlocate for faster results while also doing a
proper recursive search.
- Tags/comments for files. (I love this, but I may be alone.)
- Extensible and scriptable using existing language(s?)
Whoa! Big list there. I can share some work. Point me at something.
There should be some discussion before some of these can be turned into
a set of wishlist bugs. Lets discuss.
This is probably my first mail here, so let me introduce myself. I'm
Mahesh, a self proclaimed ubuntu enthusiast, ubuntu user for some time
(~8 yrs), am in the team that developed unity tweak tool, can code in a
bunch of languages, read a good portion of QML docs (reading still
more), worked on GTK, learning QT, considered good at spotting bad
designs but probably not as good at designing stuff on my own.
J Phani Mahesh
More information about the ubuntu-desktop