WebKit apps crash after a while in Trusty

Adam Dingle adam at medovina.org
Mon Jan 20 22:25:29 UTC 2014

I run Trusty (the upcoming 14.04 release) every day.  In the past week
or so I've started seeing the following behavior.  After I've been
logged in for some amount of time (perhaps an hour, though it may
vary), all WebKit-based applications (such as Epiphany, Chromium and
Spotify) crash and won't run any more: they report a bus error on
startup.  (The process list shows that WebKitWebProcess is not
running.)  When I then log out, the system falls back to low-graphics
mode and so I must reboot to be able to log in again.  After a reboot,
everything is apparently fine, but after an hour or so these apps crash
again and I must reboot once more.

Normally I would file a Launchpad ticket about this, but it's not
obvious which system component is to blame here.  Does anyone know of
recent changes in Trusty that might be causing a problem like this?

adam