Bad experience with Ubuntu

Adam Dingle adam at medovina.org
Sun Sep 8 12:12:42 UTC 2013

Ravi,
thanks for your message.  I don't work for Canonical (I'm just a
longtime Ubuntu user) but here are some thoughts.
First, making Ubuntu (or any Linux-based OS) work well on the vast
variety of hardware that exists is a tremendously hard problem.  Ubuntu
and others have made great progress in this area, but, still, lots of
hardware devices (especially graphics cards and networking chips) are
not friendly to free software: their specifications are not open.  So
supporting these devices, when possible at all, requires challenging
and expensive reverse engineering.
By contrast, most hardware manufacturers actively work to make sure
that their devices work well with Windows and other commercial
operating systems, which have a much larger market share.
So if you install Ubuntu (or any Linux-based OS) on a machine
containing an arbitrary set of hardware and expect it to work as
smoothly as Windows, honestly I think you're setting your expectations
too high.  There are two paths you could take:
1. You could buy or build a machine with hardware that is known to work
with Ubuntu.  Here in the US, for example, System76 (system76.com) and
ZaReason (zareason.com) sell laptop and desktop machines which have
Ubuntu preinstalled.  I've bought many computers from both those
companies and Ubuntu has always worked fine there.  If you want to
build your own machine, you'll need to check that all the components
you're using are known to work with Ubuntu; obviously that's more work.
 You might also want to make sure that the graphics card you're using
has a completely open source driver.  This is more likely with a chip
from Intel than from ATI.
2. You could continue to use a machine where Ubuntu does not work well,
but join in the battle to improve Ubuntu there.  To do that, you'll
want to find or file Launchpad tickets for each of the issues you're
seeing and/or actually find and fix those bugs if you have the
programming skills to do driver-level debugging and development.
Obviously this is a much harder path, so I think path 1 is the way to
go unless you particularly enjoy this kind of activity.  cheers -
adam