Raring installation problems

Xavier Guillot Valeryan_24 at laposte.net
Wed Mar 6 13:46:54 UTC 2013

Dear all,

First excuse me if my mail is off-topic, but I'd like to draw attention
on two important bugs that make installation and use of Ubuntu 13.04
difficult.

Since it has been decided yesterday during online UDS that Raring will
finally well be released and not directly jump in Rolling, it seems
important that... everybody will at least be able to install it !

But there is a bug reported since many months which makes Raring
installation from LiveCD impossible with some (extended) partitioning :

Ubiquity : "After 'Preparing to install Ubuntu' screen, raring
installation hangs"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1080701
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1081245

Another one which makes impossible to mount eSata devices (only USB
works) because util-linux needs to be updated :

"Util-linux needs updating to 2.22+" & "x-gvfs-show option doesn't work"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/1012081
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-disk-utility/+bug/1011257

I'm sure that people in charge of corrections are fully competent, but
as there is no recent news letting know that those bugs, which for me
are critical, will be soon resolved, I wonder if the concerned
developers or quality team are aware of them.

As feature freeze is here, release of 13.04 in one month, I preferred to
alert on these, sorry if it was useless !

Thanks in advance. Best regards,

Xavier Guillot