Default Browser Follow-up

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 12 18:35:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 03:16:01PM -0700, Jason Warner wrote:
> [...]
> What is important, and ultimately should be the deciding factor, is the
> common end user experience. Which browser, in the common case, will be the
> best for the general end user? Things I consider relevant to this
> discussion are quality/stability/robustness,

I haven't noticed much difference between the two browsers. Both of them crash
very rarely on my machine, if ever.

> familiarity, ease of use, and

They're both pretty easy to use. I don't really have an opinion on this.

> overall user experience.

I've noticed that Firefox has a tendency to hang when any one tab has heavy
Javascript which blocks the browser, whereas in Chromium, only the tab in
question would hang. The hangs can get quite frustrating, really. So for overall
user experience, -1 to Firefox.

> The secondary case to consider is web developers. I firmly believe that web
> developers would use both browsers on a regular basis, though do they
> generally prefer one browser to another? I don't consider this case to be a
> deciding factor, but rather could push one over the top if there isn't a
> clear front runner.

I think Chromium wins this one. I find the Developer Tools in Chromium to be
much easier to use compared to the correspoding functionality in Firefox. In
fact, I know of another web developer who uses Firefox as his main browser but
switches back to Chromium for debugging.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin