Call for testing - unity-control-center (fork of gnome-control-center so we can stay on an old version)

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu Dec 12 03:21:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Robert Ancell [2013-12-11 17:42 +1300]:
>

> > Please test this PPA and post any problems in the bug report. I'd like to
> > land this change into the archive if there are no reasons to block it.
>
> The upgrade went fine, and it replaced most of the
> gnome-control-center* packages with the unity-* counterparts, except
> for gnome-control-center-data
>
> It seems to me that if we want to add a "real" gnome-control-center,
> -data should be migrated as well? Or does u-c-c not need this at all?
> (Then it should be cleaned up on upgrade, or get owned by the "real"
> g-c-c)

u-c-c doesn't need this package. It is only depended on by
gnome-control-center. The only way that it will be removed is by an apt-get
autoremove right?

> After upgrading, the menu entry from the session indicator doesn't
> work. This needs a "pkill -f indicator-session-service" or a reboot;
> could the pkill perhaps be put into the postinst?

The "System Settings" menu item? I guess we should prompt a restart after
installing unity-control-center as all in-memory apps will try and launch
gnome-control-center instead of unity-control-center.

> The new control-center window is too wide, but this is probably
> related to the transition to GTK 3.10, not due to u-c-c itself.

I believe so - it used to work fine before the GTK 3.10 upgrade.

> Many entries are now untranslated, I guess this also changed the
> translation domain? Can we copy the translations from g-c-c, so that
> they get imported into LP?

I copied all the translations from g-c-c and I'm currently merging in
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+source/gnome-control-center-unity/+pots/gnome-control-center-unity-
are there any others that I don't know of? In particular, I couldn't
seem
to find any Ubuntu specific translations for gnome-control-center.