Fwd: Call for testing - unity-control-center (fork of gnome-control-center so we can stay on an old version)

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 11 10:21:21 UTC 2013

On 11 December 2013 10:14, Kai Mast <mail at kai-mast.de> wrote:
> I did not run into any problems on my machine until now when using the PPA.
> :)
>

> On 12/11/2013 10:26 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>
> On 11 December 2013 09:09, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Dimitri John Ledkov [2013-12-11  9:05 +0000]:
>
>>> I see what you mean. one could iterate all user sessions and restart
>>> indicator-session in each one, but that is also intrusive.
>

>> That sounds interesting, and would avoid pkilling processes that you
>> run in chroots, source trees, etc. How would you do this?
>>

> for i in `ls /run/user/*/upstart/sessions/*.session`; do (export `cat
> $i`; initctl restart indicator-session) ; done
>

> Isn't this a general thing that should be done when any user-level service
> is upgraded?

it is true for system daemons, but up until now it was not possible to
do for per-user session services (e.g. session dbus, session dconf,
etc.)

> Would be nice if you defined a proper behavior for all those upgrades once.
> I personally would prefer if the services restarted directly and users don't
> have to relogin or do some manual process killing.

At the moment it is out of scope for Debian Policy, which defines when
and how daemons should be restarted on upgrade.
And at the moment we will not be able to do if for all applications
because there is no distinction at the moment between user session
daemons and applications (with possibly unsaved user data).
While, e.g. we do know that indicators are generally stateless, that
may not be the case with other processes in the user session.
Furthermore, for some processes there is no sensible way to restart
them, e.g. gnome-session.

I believe at the moment, per Debian Policy, no files in home
directories should be automatically changed in dpkg .deb package
upgrades and restarting user session applications/daemons is
undefined.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.