[Desktop 13.04-Topic] Having a smart ubuntu desktop

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 18 16:17:52 UTC 2012

On 18 October 2012 11:58, Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> So I think that this is an interesting idea, but I'd propose it a little
> differently.  If you, for instance said that you have a Google account
> we could offer to integrate the GMail website but also offer to set up
> IMAP to "Synchronize e-mail locally".
>
> Perhaps another option would be to use the online accounts dialog to
> show which applications are currently using that account, but also which
> applications could use that account if they were installed.

GNOME 3.6 introduced an "Initial Setup" feature (gnome-initial-setup).
Judging based on screenshots and descriptions, it sounds like it is a
parallel to a lot of what we already do in ubiquity. And I really like
that Ubuntu asks all the install questions at one time instead of some
before install and some after.

However a major feature that it has but we don't is setting up Online
Accounts. This would be a cool optional step in the installer as it
would give the user something to do while installing that would make
their computer more useful out of the box.

And with that in mind, Ubuntu One really should be part of Online
Accounts, so that I don't have to enter my credentials again when I
want to use the cool extra stuff in Software Center. And Online
Accounts should integrate with my web browser too so I wouldn't have
to enter my password separately when I visit launchpad.net (or similar
Ubuntu sites) too? (I admit I haven't used the Ubuntu webapps feature
very extensively so maybe webapps already works like that.)

Jeremy