[Desktop13.04-Topic] GNOME plans review

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Tue Oct 16 22:56:11 UTC 2012

On 17/10/12 11:28, Ma Xiaojun wrote:

>> - By leaving some packages to be fully maintained by Debian we easily
>> end up shipping old packages without noticing it. I was quite shocked
>> when I updated the version tracker [1] how many out of date packages we
>> ship. If we're going to ship a quality product we really should be more
>> aware of the code we ship.
> The page you mentioned is nice.
> There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
> If a Ubuntu contributor/developer find something outdated in Debian,
> she should help Debian as well as Ubuntu.
> If you want a more updated upstream, consider Arch?

My point is we *shouldn't* take the time to update Debian as it is all
cost and no benefit. If you think of Debian as being directly upstream
from Ubuntu it sounds good but in reality it is a more "sidestream". If
it is outdated in Ubuntu we should update it in Ubuntu and if Debian
also wants the update they should merge our changes across as we do the
other direction. The most appropriate person to decide if the changes
are appropriate is a Debian developer, not an Ubuntu developer.

We don't need to switch from Debian to Arch as we don't need any
particular packaging. If you look at the versions page you see we
already maintain the majority of packages in Ubuntu anyway.