[Desktop13.04-Topic] GNOME plans review

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 22:28:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Robert Ancell
<robert.ancell at canonical.com> wrote:
> - By updating packages in Debian and waiting for them to flow down to
> Ubuntu kills our velocity. It can change the time from upstream release
> to being in Ubuntu from hours (which is too long in my opinion) to days.
In most cases, it just goes to the latest Ubuntu release.
Users of older releases can help themselves or wanting for a (not
always good) PPA.
Longer supporting cycle, especially LTS releases, is really one of the
advantage of Ubuntu.
But the support is not that good, consider 10.04 today or 12.04 two years later.

> - By leaving some packages to be fully maintained by Debian we easily
> end up shipping old packages without noticing it. I was quite shocked
> when I updated the version tracker [1] how many out of date packages we
> ship. If we're going to ship a quality product we really should be more
> aware of the code we ship.
The page you mentioned is nice.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
If a Ubuntu contributor/developer find something outdated in Debian,
she should help Debian as well as Ubuntu.
If you want a more updated upstream, consider Arch?