[Desktop13.04-Topic] Reduce patch burden

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 16 11:13:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

A lot of our packages are patched over upstream. Each of these comes
with a maintenance cost and is also a source of bugs and frustration
(quilt patches aren't the easiest things in the world to work with).

I think we should systematically look at our patches and re-evaluate for
each one

  - Whether it is really (still) necessary — if not, drop
  - If we can forward upstream if not already or if we can help
    its upstream inclusion along
  - Who is going to maintain the patch in the distro if it needs to be
    kept as a local patch — desktop, PS, …

It would be good if we could use something like DEP5 headers for all
patches, including adding them to existing patches. It's sometimes
really quite difficult to figure out what a particular patch is for,
whether it is upstream and so on.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]