[Desktop13.04-Topic] Default file manager

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 15 19:26:24 UTC 2012

Le 13/10/2012 21:33, Dylan McCall a écrit :
> I agree with you to the extent that Nautilus 3.6 doesn't fit well with
> Unity, but this is not localized to Nautilus. This is _almost every
> GNOME app going forwards_.
Right, at the same time I think you listed most of GNOME there, so going
"forwards" it's not likely being an increasing list of those (or
upstream would need to be an hard-buy-in GNOME but the current trend
shows that most app writers are still conservative and care about other
desktops)....

> I'll admit to looking at this from some distance, but that sounds like
> a wasteful strategy, and I suspect it would eventually drain more
> resources than trying to solve this 'for good'. If you handle
> divergence by patching these applications to fit downstream, without
> providing any benefit for upstream, these projects will never stop
> diverging — and the divergence is way bigger than Nautilus as it is.

Well, what you are basically saying that is "nautilus is a file-manager
designed for *GNOME* and GNOME only and they have no intend to support
other desktop, so if we consider unity different from GNOME we better
fork or pick another one?

> Before talking about file managers, people should talk about how Unity
> fits with the direction GNOME applications are going. Because that is
> the problem: Unity has a very different vision for how applications
> should work than the GNOME project, which it depends on for
> applications and development tools.
Right, that's a valid concern that we need to address, it's a bit
orthogonal to the file manager though (which is part of the base OS). We
don't have really issues with apps so far, no app out of the GNOME
desktop itself has stopped supporting non GNOME users...

> I think there needs to be a detailed plan for how Ubuntu is going to
> solve that problem with upstream. Barring that, there needs to be some
> consensus around why solving it upstream is unacceptable. Without that
> understanding, I think it would be impossible to make an informed
> decision on what to do about Nautilus.

Well, I'm not sure there is much to "solve" there. GNOME has its desktop
and vision, Ubuntu has a different one, there is no reason we need to
align our designs... it does indeed makes life of app writers harder,
but it seems it's the way it has to be...

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher