[Desktop13.04-Topic] Default file manager

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Sun Oct 14 08:35:12 UTC 2012

On 14/10/12 08:33, Dylan McCall wrote:
> Before talking about file managers, people should talk about how Unity
> fits with the direction GNOME applications are going. Because that is
> the problem: Unity has a very different vision for how applications
> should work than the GNOME project, which it depends on for
> applications and development tools. I think there needs to be a
> detailed plan for how Ubuntu is going to solve that problem with
> upstream. Barring that, there needs to be some consensus around why
> solving it upstream is unacceptable. Without that understanding, I
> think it would be impossible to make an informed decision on what to
> do about Nautilus. Dylan

Even worse, we don't even have a definition of what a Unity application
is. So upstreams can never really tell if they are excluding their
applications from use in Unity and how do we determine if an upstream
fits? Note that GNOME has a similar problem in that a GNOME3 app is not
clearly defined (yet) so there is quite some divergence in designs.

--Robert